Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce – this is a great basic pasta sauce recipe – fresh, healthy and very tasty. You can use this tossed through pasta, in lasagne, even add extra stock and serve it as soup. The easiest way to get a heap of veggies into little tummies without drama, or them even noticing for that matter. I freeze portions so I can pull out something healthy, quickly when all else fails (which it often does).
I make it low salt for the kids, so for the adults you’ll need to season with sea salt & loads of cracked pepper, maybe top with some chilli, fried chorizo, some fresh baby spinach or rocket, and some shaved parmesan.
This recipe is so straightforward – it’s very flexible and forgiving, you can change around the quantities as you like, and you can pretty much use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge. A combination of following vegetables work really well and result in a lovely sweet sauce.
- Red Capsicum/Pepper
Vegetable Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red capsicum/pepper chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- A few stalks of celery trimmed and chopped
- A few cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 x bottle of passata (preferably low sodium)
- 1-2 cups of homemade vegetable stock (depends how thick you like your sauce)
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Heat a large pan on medium, add a splash of olive oil and add the garlic, onion and all the other vegetables and put the lid on.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the passata and the vegetable stock.
- Simmer for another 20 mintutes then blend until smooth
- Season to taste (or not, for the little ones).
- Serve with hot pasta, tossed in a little butter and grated parmesan. (and any other goodies for adults)