Designed as both breakfast and snack this Almond, Chia and Sour Cherry Granola is excellent with plain yogurt swirled with a bit of vanilla and some fresh berries, or just eaten by the hand-full. I’ve given bags of this to my pregnant friends as ‘Emergency Mama Snacks’.
Full of chewy sour cherries, roasted almonds and warm with vanilla, cinnamon, orange & maple. Toasted oats are extra crispy with roasted chia, and the coconut oil adds a textural richness that reminds me (a little bit) of chocolate crackles as a kid.
It’s easy to make; melt, mix and bung it in the oven, and store it in a jar.
- 3/4 cup of Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1x grated orange rind
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 50 grm dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan, along with the cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla paste and orange rind.
- Take off the heat and stir in the oats, chia, almonds & salt until everything is nicely coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto 2 baking dishes lined with baking paper and cook for 15 mins, then stir in the cherries and return to the oven for another 10 mins.
- Allow to cool, then store in a jar or container with a lid.